Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] possibly serius bug

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] possibly serius bug
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 20:25:42 +0100

Hi Anguelos,

#cd /opt
#hg clone http://hg.savannah.nongnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env
#cd mingw_cross_env
#make

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with /usr. I doubt that the commands you listed could have caused this, but I almost choked when I read this:

/opt/mingw_cross_env$ sudo make clean

the result is my real /usr/ directory was deleted. once I realised I prefered to go with a fresh install.
I am working on the latest mint-debian amd64

Why did you "sudo"? It's asking for big trouble to work with mingw-cross-env as root. Although it shouldn't cause any damge, all it takes is one misbehaving or misconfigured package to mess up your system directories. When you work as regular user, your system directories are protected by the file permissions.

I had a quick look at the "clean" target in the makefile, but I do not see how it could have deleted /usr.

some requirement of ffmpeg had a non updated md5sum so I simply removed the dependency .mk file as well as ffmpeg .mk file to go on with the make file.

Right now, the checksums and URLs in the development version are fine, so please try again!

Also, if you get new insights into what wiped our /usr, please let us know.

Mark