Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Package proposal

From: Martin Müllenhaupt
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Package proposal
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 10:22:20 +0100

Hi Mark,

On 11/03/2011 05:03 PM, Mark Brand wrote:
> I just pushed 3 commits adding pkg-config files for 1) libmng, 2) tiff,
> and 3) making qt use them.
>
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/ef0e92c6ba02
>
> This seems more elegant that tracking the dependencies separately for
> the various build systems.
I was indeed thinking about tracking the dependencies separately for
cmake. I created cmake config files for png, tiff and freetype (which
are comparable to package-config files). They are used by the
find_package cmake command. After having VTK use the find_package
command (their cmake scripts need an overhaul), this resolved the
linking issues I had with vtkRendering.

> Do you think you could use this to set up the dependencies in cmake?
I'll try to let these config files use pkg-config. CMake ships a module
for this purpose.

I'm thinking of collecting as much cmake config files as possible for
the packages at a common place to improve the overall cmake support of
mingw-cross-env.
Currently I chose the share/cmake install directory to create a config
directory for each package next to the cmake toolchain file. For
example, I created a "share/cmake/freetype/freetype-config.cmake" file.
And I configured VTK to install its cmake files into
"share/cmake/vtk-5.8/*".

The main problem I see is that these config files compete with the
FindXXX macros shipped with cmake. If a FindXXX macro exists,
find_package will not search for the config file. The option NO_MODULE
has to be specified.

I'll post my results as soon as I'm making progress. Do you think this
is going in the right direction?

Martin Müllenhaupt