[Mingw-cross-env-list] trying not to reinvent the wheel

From: LM
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] trying not to reinvent the wheel
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 15:28:51 -0400

I ran across the MinGW cross compiling environment site while searching for something else.  I'm really not doing any cross-compiling at this time, but I'm doing quite a bit of cross-platform compiling and building of open source applications on multiple platforms.  When I was reading the information at the cross compiler web site, seemed like there were some similarities faced in both cross-compiling and cross-platform building.  Was hoping to investigate the project further and share what I've been doing with some of my own projects in case there's something in common that might be useful to both.  I've been collecting patches for various Open Source programs for a variety of platforms (not just with MinGW).  Some of them are listed here:  http://www.distasis.com/cpp/patches.htm  If a project will take the patches, I submit them to the project, but there are several projects that are no longer supported and some that don't want to support Windows, so I'm left with a growing list of patches.  I've been using spkg ( http://spkg.megous.com/ ) as a cross-platform package manager.  I've managed to get it working on various versions of Linux, FreeBSD and Windows.  I have some scripts that can create Slackware style slackbuild scripts or mingwport scripts and include the various patches needed to build certain applications in an automated manner.  Am very curious to see how the MinGW cross compiling environment project is keeping track of and organizing patches, if there are better ways to integrate with the local package manager that's available on the system you've used to cross-compile projects and if you've found any better ways to deal with various build issues.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp/mingw.htm