Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] OpenCSG again

From: Brad Pitcher
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] OpenCSG again
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 08:48:40 -0700

Of course you're right, we did stray off-topic. I had already skimmed the documentation with no luck. I knew it would take an order of magnitude more time to find the solution myself, so I suppose I was just hoping for a little pity help. ;)
No worries, a long session of RTFM'ing and I found what I needed.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:02 AM, René Berber <address@hidden> wrote:
On 19 Sep 2011 18:48:12, Brad Pitcher wrote:

[snip]
> Also, are those *_STATIC definitions automatically available for use?

No, they are specific on each package (the ones I found are defined
inside their headers, and perhaps their documentation, which is
something any developer should read).

Most of the times packages just require to use "./configure
--enable-static ...", but many have bugs (DBUS is an example) and that
doesn't really work.

> In other words, if I just statically build libCGAL and install the *.a
> files, can I then add a DEFINES += CGAL_STATIC in order

No, OpenCSG is a Qt package (with other variants), not the usual
autotools package.  Those DEFINES, LIBS, etc. don't exist anywhere else
(i.e. they are specific to .pro files).

Additionally it was not made to support static libraries, that's the
reason the .pro files had to be changed... which BTW is the "manual
way", this could be improved.

> to use the library in another program? Or is there something else that
> needs to be done first?

Its going to depend on each specific case.

BTW I think this whole thread is way off-topic, it doesn't have anything
to do with mingw-cross, or how to use it, but about how to do unrelated
basic developer things (using Qt, adapting to each package way).
--
René Berber