Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gcc install directories and libgomp build fai

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gcc install directories and libgomp build failure
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 22:47:01 +1000

On 19 August 2011 17:04, Mark Brand <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> Next I tried passing --libdir='$(PREFIX)/lib' to gcc's configure. This seems
> to work and building libgomp succeeds. All files are now installed under
> <mce>/usr/lib.
>
> Binutils still installs <mce>/usr/lib64/libiberty.a, which differs from
> <mce>/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/lib/libiberty.a. This is the only file under
> <mce>/usr/lib64. I guess this is correct. Passing --libdir='$(PREFIX)/lib'
> to binutils' configure does not change this.
>
> I'm wondering if the --libdir hack should be checked in. I don't know the
> mechanism by which gcc chooses between lib and lib64 for libdir, apparently
> influenced by something in the operating system. I notice that the configure
> output includes:
>    configure: loading site script /usr/share/site/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu,
> I wonder if that script is part of the story. Do you know how to tell if the
> script is broken?

Hi Mark,

I couldn't get the same thing to happen on new install of Open Suse,
gcc places all files under lib (with or without --libdir). I didn't
find any site config files, but this:

http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/autoconf/Site-Defaults.html

suggests that it's a possible culprit somewhere in your setup. SInce
the --libdir fix seems to work, it's probably not worth investigating
further (unless there's some other silent errors).