[Mingw-cross-env-list] Questions / Bugs?

From: Thomas Dineen
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Questions / Bugs?
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 21:27:53 -0700

Gentle People:

I just over the last few days successfully tried out your MinGW Cross environment
and overall I was favorably surprised! Very good quality software over all!

However I have I have some questions and possible bugs to report:

1) When building source RPMs:
a) How are the patch files installed? By hand? Or automatically by the make build?
If manually what command is used and in what directory? Example?

2) What is the best way to get source tarballs for this environment?
Linux Source RPMs or directly from the home page website?
Are there issues with Linux Source RPMS?

3) How are the lower level makefiles for the individual packages created
by hand or with a tool? I with a tool: What tools is used and in what directory?

4) Build Bugs:
a) libpng needs update to version libpng-1.5.4.tar.xz
b) Package "old" not found at specified URL, no response from Web Site

5) Your directions do not seem to cover installation of the files in the MinGW environment!
What is the best or most convenient location to install the files?
How do you install the files? By hand with cp or is there a better tool?
if yes please specify a tool.
How do you configure you linking environment for both headers and libraries to
access the new libraries?
You may want to update you directions to cover installation.

6) Critical Bug:
Pkg-config / libpng Bug: See Below: Seems to keep pkg-config from working!

pkg-config --libs --cflags cairo gtk+-
Package 'libpng' has no Name: field

The *.pc files are shown below:

Cygwin% ls libpng*
libpng.pc  libpng15.pc

Cygwin% more libpng.pc
prefix=/home/tdineen/mingw-cross-env-2.21/usr/i686-pc-mingw32
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include/libpng15

Name: libpng
Version: 1.5.4
Libs: -L${libdir} -lpng15
Libs.private: -lz
Cflags: -I${includedir}
Cygwin% more libpng15.pc
prefix=/home/tdineen/mingw-cross-env-2.21/usr/i686-pc-mingw32
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include/libpng15

Name: libpng