Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt static codec dependencies

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt static codec dependencies
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 14:02:03 +0200

http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/#tutorial
"Step 5c: Cross compile your Project (Qt)"

That's right. But the difference now is that QtCore itself introduces dependencies on those codec plugins, so *all* Qt applications will need to do this. This might be puzzling to people trying mingw-cross-env for the first time. I'm thinking about ways to improve the situation.

I think I have a good solution for this.

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/33a76ea753c6

The static codec plugin dependencies now come automatically with QtCore so the the user doesn't not have to worry about this for each application.

Comments are welcome.

I'd go with whatever upstream does by default. If this is a cherrypick of an upstream Git commit, then I guess it's OK. If not, then the user should have to worry about this for each application, because that's what's expected with static Qt builds; cross-env should not change expected, documented behavior.

We have a history of pushing our good ideas for static Windows Qt upstream. :) I'm leaning toward a merge request for this one too.

I don't think this will break expected behavior. It should be harmless for an application to be explicitly configured to use the static codec plugins when QtCore is so configured already.

The big advantage is that users who are not even thinking about codecs or plugins will not get surprised by a mysterious link failure just because QtCore itself depends on them. Otherwise I'm afraid this will become the most FAQ for mingw-cross-env.

Does this address your concerns?

Mark