Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] ORBit2: make skipping over subdirectory resul

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] ORBit2: make skipping over subdirectory resulting in build fail
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 23:28:20 +1000

Hi Ryan,

On 22 June 2011 14:22, Ryan Laboucane <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm attempting to build ORBit2 under mingw-cross-env, and I'm getting an
> error that's kind of puzzling me.
>
> During build, make enters the subdirectory 'src/idl-compiler', then
> quickly outputs:
> make[5]: nothing to be done for `all'.

Calling "make" from the top source level (ORBit2.mk:41) with
"*_PROGRAMS= " causes it to skip building any *exe targets.

> That doesn't seem to be the only directory this occurs in either...

The previous build steps would mean there's nothing to be done in
".../linc2" and ".../src/idl" etc.

> Later, when it tries to build the orb-core component, it complains:
>
> *** No rule to make target `../../../src/idl-compiler/orbit-idl-2.exe',
> needed by `orbit-interface.h'.  Stop.

Since calling "make" this way overrides what "./configure" has
detected, you can end up with inconsistent dependencies. The build log
(ORBit:85) hints that it expects to build the idl compiler, and that
it will be there when required. Since this was bypassed, the build
can't continue.

> ORBit2 builds the idl-compiler fine when not cross-compiling.

Does it actually build it, or does it detect a natively installed one
and use that? I'm guessing the latter, but it could be the former -
the "ac_cv_*" overrides and removal of static warnings makes me think
this isn't developed with static cross-building in mind.