Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Legal Notes (was License issue / dependencies

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Legal Notes (was License issue / dependencies on OpenSSL)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 01:03:38 +0100

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your work on our new "Legal" section!

Lothar May schrieb:
> 2011/2/26 Tony Theodore <address@hidden>:
> --
> Implied by
> the mingw-cross-env project has no opinion or fore-knowledge about the
> use cases of developers.
> --
> to something like
> --
> According to
> the mingw-cross-env project can be used in countless different
> environments each with their own special license considerations.
> --
> But this is just my personal opinion, I like your style of writing and
> my sentence might break this :-).

I'd also prefer the second variant.

> I'd add some sentence like "This is no legal advice, it is just meant
> as general guidance" at the beginning.

That's a good idea. However, maybe it chould be formulated in a
nicer way.

> In the section "LGPL and Static Linking" I'd remove the sentence and
> instead link somewhere else where this is stated or cite. Actually, I
> just looked for quite some time for some place (FSF, ...) where this
> is clearly stated. The only place I could find was wikipedia, in other
> places it is not as clear:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Lesser_General_Public_License

There's also the licensing FAQ of the FSF. For instance, the following
part describes how to allow for GPL-incompatible licenses to co-exist
with your own GPL code:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs

Also, we should link to the FTF (Freedom Task Force of the FSFE):

http://fsfe.org/projects/ftf/

Those people are absolutely great. Some time ago I had a somewhat
complicated licensing issue. The replies I got various mailing lists
weren't very helpful, but the answer I got from the FTF was really
eye-opening.

Lothar, maybe you could state your issue there? It would be great
to read what the FTF thinks about the "mingw-cross-env / PokerTH /
OpenSSL" issue.

Greets,