Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] reimp

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] reimp
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 19:31:06 +0100

Hello Alois,

Alois Schlögl <address@hidden> schrieb:
> reimp is a tool to convert VC-libraries into *.a libraries that can be
> linked with mingw.
> The release of mingw-utils-reimp 0.4.1 worked so far only on windows.
> The release here
> http://pub.ist.ac.at/~schloegl/software/reimp-0.50.zip
> fixes this problem. The attached file would include compiling reimp into
> the mingw-cross-env project.

Thanks for your great work! This is really a step forward and
I'm glad to include your improved reimp tool into mingw-cross-env.

However, I also think that starting a fork of reimp is the wrong
way to do that! I compared your reimp-0.50 with mingw-utils-0.4
and noticed that you changed just a few lines. So I wonder why
didn't contribute those changes directly to the MinGW project.

Also, I noticed a few flaws in your patch. The uint32_t types
are defined in <stdint.h>, not <inttypes.h> (although the latter
works, too). And I think we can safely change the sources completely
from uint32 to uint32_t and thus get rid of the typedefs. Finally,
I noticed a missing #include <unistd.h> for the _exit() function
and added a casting regarding the const stuff.

Using that patch, I was able to add the mingw-utils package to
mingw-cross-env, with a complete cross build and a native build
that only created reimp, of course with prefix (i686-pc-mingw32-reimp):

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/dedbbccbe093

I also provided the patch to the MinGW project:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3119898&group_id=2435&atid=102435

Greets,