Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Proposed patch to switch to boost 1.45

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Proposed patch to switch to boost 1.45
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 20:46:39 +0100

Lothar May <address@hidden> schrieb:
> boost 1.45 has been released yesterday. Since it includes the patches in
> boost-1-win32-static.patch, they are no longer needed and can be removed.

Thanks for the contribution!

> This is a proposed patch to switch to boost 1.45 (hopefully the format
> is ok). bjam has been relocated, so the process changed a bit. The
> resulting libs work like a charm for me.

I just included your changes.

    http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/c0823aae2bbe
    http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/d4d512a06361

However, I had to fix your patch by hand, because your mail client
(or our mailing list system) introduced a nasty line break.

You can easily avoid that kind of issue if you always provide
patch files as attachments rather than copying and pasting them
into your email text.

Also, your patch could not be applied via the usual "patch -p1".
It needed "patch -p0" instead.

If you like to make further contributions (which would be really
great), I strongly recommend using our Mercurial repository:

    http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/#development

That way, you simply make your changes and "hg diff" will output
a perfectly fine patch.

Also, I recommend always using a version control system such as
Mercurial, Git or Darcs -- even when making changes to "static"
things like an unpacked tarball. Those repositories are created
and removed easily on the fly, locally, without and need for
networking stuff or server installation. Some links to get started:

    http://hginit.com/
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gittutorial.html
    http://www.carpetcode.org/work-with-darcs.html

Greets,