Re: FLAC ntohl patch (was Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Preparation of Rele

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: FLAC ntohl patch (was Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Preparation of Release 2.16)
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 03:42:41 +1100

On 7 October 2010 02:46, DiAppoggio <address@hidden> wrote:
> Il 06/10/2010 17:20, Tony Theodore ha scritto:
>>>
>>> DiAppoggio<address@hidden>    schrieb:
>>>

>>> /opt/mingw/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/4.5.1/../../../../i686-pc-mingw32/lib/libFLAC.a(bitreader.o):/opt/mingw/tmp-flac/flac-1.2.1/src/libFLAC/bitreader.c:274:
>>> more undefined references to address@hidden' follow
>>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>> make: *** [scummvm.exe] Errore 1*
>>>
>>> After googling I've found that this patch (
>>>

>>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=313478&aid=1761712&group_id=13478
>>> ) resolves this issue (in my setup of course). I post to the list if
>>> someone can find it useful.
>>>

>> Looking a little further, it seems there's a missing '-lwsock32'
>> somewhere. Can you see if you can get scummvm to add this to it's
>> linking steps and/or see if it uses pkg-config? If that works, we'll
>> add it to the *.pc files.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tony
>>

> Yes, I can bypass the patch adding -lwsock32 to ./configure , but I still
> don't understand why I need a networking library if I only need to encode a
> wav file into a flac one!

My first thoughts also, it seems a bit silly. They use 'ntohl' on
non-windows systems, then implement their own 'local_swap32_'
conversion for windows (while still including winsock.h??) - I imagine
based on the assumption that it will always be little-endian.

We can patch the build or patch the linking. Since bit manipulation
seems to be at the core of a compressor, I wouldn't be too confident
changing the bitreader/writer, and would rather just link in the
network lib. It's mostly too arcane for me though.