Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] What to do if I need shared libraries?

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] What to do if I need shared libraries?
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 14:42:13 +0200

DiAppoggio <address@hidden> schrieb:
> Il 04/10/2010 15:40, Volker Grabsch ha scritto:
>> M. Gerhardy<address@hidden>  schrieb:

>> Why is that?
>>
> Uforadiant for example, the UFO:AI editor :-) .

I still don't understand why static linking is no option for that.

> So, can a user only report a project that use mingw-cross-env or that
> can be simply compiled with mingw-cross-env?

I think the project should actually make use of Mingw-cross-env for their
win32 build. However, I don't care whether this happens just internally,
by some developers, or externally, leading to official win32 builds.

>>> e.g. the user can add a config.mk (that is optional of course and a
>>> user can just override some vars in it) and define per target (default
>>> is static) (e.g. gtk_STATIC = no) whether it should get build static
>>> or not.
>>>
>>> What do you think? Would that be worth the work?
>>>
>> What would be the absolute worst case for our project, because it
>> would result in a huge number of static/shared combinations and
>> configurations that would have to be checked.
>>
> I think that you're right... my request was only an attempt that
> requires too much work.
> I'll try to learn hg to make diff from a modified repository so I can
> import it back to the official one.

In case your work ends in some kind of "shared-library fork of mingw-
cross-env" that provides a substantial subset of the packages, feel
free to report about it. It would be very interesting for me, and
probably others.

>> For more information on that topic, please have a look at:
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/mingw-cross-env-list/2009-09/msg00025.html
>>
> In my humble opinion this is another thread that should be included
> somewhere in the documentation.

Yes, I already thought about it. However, that would require some
initial work, because the text needs to be shortened and some details
should be fixed. Also, some spelling fixes would be nice.

Unfortunately, I currently don't have the time to do that, so I just
link occasionally to that mailing list entry. However, if someone
else likes to do that work, I'd happily include it into the docs.

Greets,