Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] x264 build fails

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] x264 build fails
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 04:15:57 +0200

Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
> On 4 October 2010 23:09, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible have an "rm" command that is a long-term solution?
> > Something like this:
> >
> >     rm '$(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)'/lib/libx*.a
> >
> > but with less collateral damage?
>
> make uninstall after ./configure? It currently removes:
>
> $(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/include/x264.h
> $(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/lib/libx264.a
> $(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/bin/x264.exe
> $(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/lib/pkgconfig/x264.pc

That sounds reasonable. Please push.

... and let's hope that future versions of this package will
be able clean up the files of previous versions.

> Seems to be exactly what we want. This may also be a general solution
> if most packages have the uninstall target.

Note that the Autoconf docs strongly discourage the use of
"make uninstall" as it is not very reliable. Using it for
every package might create a false sense of security. So I'd
like to keep it as an exception rather than the norm.

> >> We could disable the .exe build with some sort of 'bin_PROGRAMS= ',
> >
> > This is always a good idea.
>
> I couldn't find a way to disable it unfortunately.

That's strange. Usually, there is a way, even if it's just setting
the list of test programs / sources to an empty list.

Greets,