Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Xerces library problem

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Xerces library problem
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:22:42 +0200

tek <address@hidden> schrieb:
> On 07/11/2010 02:10 PM, Volker Grabsch wrote:
>>
>> I'm also actively using Xerces in a project, and it works flawlessly.
>> Please check whether your system meets the requirements:
>>
>>      http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/#requirements
>
> Ok. I'm sorry, I really should have done it before posting here :( I was
> effectively missing some packages, but it did not resolve the issue.

Since you are by far not the only one who missed that page:

Why did you overlook it? Is there anything in the website/docs we
can improve so that more people will have a look at the requirements
section?

I mean, it's the very first step of the tutorial. Should it be more
prominent in the tutorial?

Or didn't you start with the tutorial, so we should mention it
additionally at the start page? Or somewhere else?

As a new user, what do you think?
What would have helped you not to miss the requirements section?

>> Also, please tell us what system exactly you are using, and send your
>> complete "log/xerces" to us (compressed). That allows us to compare
>> your log with the logs of a successful build, making subtle differences
>> easier to spot.
>>
> $ uname -a
> Linux pulsar 2.6.30-1-amd64 #1 SMP Sat Aug 15 21:08:31 UTC 2009 x86_64
> GNU/Linux

What Linux distribution exactly do you use?

What "/bin/sh" exactly do you have?
What's the output of "/bin/sh --version"?

> My compressed Xerces log is 40Ko. I know it's nothing, but I fear the
> risk of bothering anyone, so in doubt I uploaded it here:
>
> http://www.mediafire.com/?lyvt2zzmwfy

40k are absolutely okay. Also, the list defines an upper size, so in
the worst case your email simply won't come trough. :-)

The relevant part of your log is the following command:

    /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CXX   --mode=link i686-pc-mingw32-g++ ...

which causes some strange error messages:

    eval: 1: libtool_args+=: not found
    eval: 1: compile_command+=: not found
    eval: 1: finalize_command+=: not found

That's why I'd like to know more about the "/bin/sh" of your system.

>>> My project also makes intensive use of SDL without
>>> problems (well, at least no error reported about it either in
>>> mingw-cross-env and my project link time) and OpenGL with minor problems
>>> (it mostly has to do with GL shader calls, I'll deal with it in time).
>>>
>> In case you have any fixes to the header files, feel free to
>> contribute them to the MinGW and MinGW-w64 projects.
>>

> TBH, I usually never touch 3rd party headers. Concerning OpenGL, for
> instance I only had to make a dummy mesa_wgl.h as my project
> cross-compilation tries to include it (from <gl.h>). I guess it's a
> Windows specific header and that it may be an issue later, so I just
> made note of it somewhere. It is ok for now.

Note that we don't have that issue in Mingw-cross-env. More general,
that issue shouldn't be present in any recent MinGW system.

Greets,

Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR