Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Xerces library problem

From: tek
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Xerces library problem
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 06:52:12 +0200

On 07/11/2010 02:10 PM, Volker Grabsch wrote:

I just wonder: is something broken in mingw-cross-env with Xerces or did
I miss something?
On my Debian 64-bit system Xerces is built correctly:

$ ls -l usr/i686-pc-mingw32/lib/libxerces-c.*
-rw-r--r-- 1 vog vog 35907988 Jun 16 01:33 usr/i686-pc-mingw32/lib/libxerces-c.a
-rwxr-xr-x 1 vog vog     1380 Jun 16 01:33
usr/i686-pc-mingw32/lib/libxerces-c.la

I'm also actively using Xerces in a project, and it works flawlessly.
Please check whether your system meets the requirements:

     http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/#requirements

Ok. I'm sorry, I really should have done it before posting here :( I was effectively missing some packages, but it did not resolve the issue.

Also, please tell us what system exactly you are using, and send your
complete "log/xerces" to us (compressed). That allows us to compare
your log with the logs of a successful build, making subtle differences
easier to spot.
$ uname -a
Linux pulsar 2.6.30-1-amd64 #1 SMP Sat Aug 15 21:08:31 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Please note that even though my system is 64 bits, when I download binary distributions, I usually take 32 bits versions because 64 bits ones never work (as far as I tested it). I did not investigate this issue yet. I suppose it's not relevant here, but I prefer to make you know.

My compressed Xerces log is 40Ko. I know it's nothing, but I fear the risk of bothering anyone, so in doubt I uploaded it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?lyvt2zzmwfy

My project also makes intensive use of SDL without
problems (well, at least no error reported about it either in
mingw-cross-env and my project link time) and OpenGL with minor problems
(it mostly has to do with GL shader calls, I'll deal with it in time).
In case you have any fixes to the header files, feel free to
contribute them to the MinGW and MinGW-w64 projects.

TBH, I usually never touch 3rd party headers. Concerning OpenGL, for instance I only had to make a dummy mesa_wgl.h as my project cross-compilation tries to include it (from <gl.h>). I guess it's a Windows specific header and that it may be an issue later, so I just made note of it somewhere. It is ok for now.

My second question is: do you think I should use the Debian package
mingw32 instead of mingw-cross-env? Are there some drawbacks (besides
the fact I would have to deal manually with a few builds)?
I recommend to give Mingw-cross-env a try, because that way many
people will profit from your improvements to e.g. the Xerces build
script.

However, even if you build Xerces "by hand", it would be great if
you'd provide your exact build commands to us. Those might help us
to fix our Xerces build script.

Whatever, once I make it work, I'll let you know what I did, promess.

There are essentially two alternatives to Mingw-cross-env.

First, the SuSE build system seems to provide mingw32 cross compilers
as well as ports of many libraries. I haven't tried it myself, and I
don't know which libraries they support. If you are interested in that,
the people on the MinGW-users mailing list might help you.

I take note. But I don't plan to use another Linux distribution for long. I use Debian for everything I do since a year now and I would really like to stick with it.

(There is also a Debian win32 cross-compiling project, but it doesn't
work well. I originally tried to base Mingw-cross-env on dpkg-cross,
but I had to add special cases for Windows at all edges and corners,
so I gave and and simply put them into a separate script - and
Mingw-cross-env was born.)

Second, you could try to compile them natively, using Wine or a native
Windows system. In fact I considered basing Mingw-cross-env on Wine
rather than cross compilers, but I decided not to go that route, for
performance reasons as well as to be independent of big packages like
Wine. That way you can abvoid many cross-compiling specific issues,
but in your concrete case I guess something else went wrong.

Yes, I first though about using native methods with MSYS/Mingw (as I already experienced it in the past on a Win32 OS), but finally, I did not because:

- I wanted to experiment with cross-compiling (never done it before)
- I have no deadline for this project
- It seems so much more confortable in the end. The less I boot a Windows OS, the happier I am (especially when it is about programming stuffs).

I knew that cross-compiling was more trouble in the first place, so I'm not surprised at all, don't worry :)

Ho, and thanks a lot for your help!

Regards.