Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] GtkUIManager problem

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] GtkUIManager problem
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 01:09:43 +0200

Michel Boaventura <address@hidden> schrieb:

> > This is part of an open issue. It would be great if someone took
> > the time to investigate on that.
>
> > FYI, here is a summary of the topic which I wrote some time ago:
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/mingw-cross-env-list/2009-09/msg00025.html
>
> I've read your post. Its a great explanation. Thank you!
>
> But I don't know which step to take in order to make it work.
> My idea is to use mingw-cross-env to make daily builds of pspp automatically
> on my server. How is the easy way to make it work? Is there any work on make
> everything compiles statically but gtk?

There's currently work in progress to get bigger parts of GTK
working with static builds. At least it already works for simple
GTK programs.

You could, of course, change the "src/glib.mk", "src/gtk.mk" etc.
to compile as a shared library, and you might have to remove some
of the $(SED) commands to achieve that goal. Note, however, that
this is not supported by our project, because it is already hard
enough to maintain the static-only builds. So you could easily
do that on your own, but then you'd be on your own.

Also note that there are existing GTK development packages and
DLLs. So if you aren't interested in having a statically linked
GTK, you could simply use those, and take everything else from
Mingw-cross-env. Note, however, that this is also not supported
by us, so you might have trouble finding people on this list who
are able to help you.

The third way is to try to get all required packages running as
static builds. This is what I recommend and what we support,
but it is also the hardest and most time consuming approach. So
although it would be great if you'd perform forther investigation
and improvements on the static GTK stuff, it would be perfectly
understandable if you'd decide not to go that route.

Greets,

Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR