Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gtk packages

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gtk packages
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:57:31 +0200

Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
> On 26 April 2010 07:05, Martin Gerhardy <address@hidden> wrote:
> > i'm trying to add support for some new packages but can't compile them.
> > i'm relative new to mingw and would beg for some help.
> >
> > attached are the packages. please try them and send feedback.
>
> I was able to build gtkglext by poking around in the Makefiles, though
> there's likely a better way. I removed some of the sed lines, as I'm
> not sure they're needed -

Although making it work is more important than making it beautiful,
here are some hints regarding the latter one:

The configure.ac should be changed to make the check for "pangox"
optional, i.e. to check for it, but to allow a failing check.

The Makefile.am should be changed to use "$(GLIB_MKENUMS)" instead
of "glib-mkenums".

Put both changes into a patch, and run the autotools in the *.mk
file. When everything works, provide the patch to upstream. Bonus
points for actually getting the patch accepted.

To see some best practices regarding the Autotools, just have a
look at the existing build scripts:

    grep autoconf src/*.mk

You can also easily step through them with the following command:

    less `grep -l autoconf src/*.mk`

Within "less", just press ":n" to switch to the next file,
":p" to switch to the previous file, and "q" to quit. Switch
around until you find the code you need.

Since you're likely to need automake, you could also search
directly for that:

    grep automake src/*.mk

    less `grep -l automake src/*.mk`

Greets,