[Mingw-cross-env-list] Re: URL problems

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Re: URL problems
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:22:55 +0200

Mark Brand <address@hidden> schrieb:
> >Are there any other open issues that need to be addressed before I announce
> >the testing round for our next release?
>
> Something is wrong with these URLs. I have had time to look into it, but
> you will probably see the problem right away.

According to their download site

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tdm-gcc/files/

they released some newer files a few days ago. And of course that
means they'll have to break all the other URLs by moving the old
files into a _Deprecated/ folder. Persistent URLs are only for
whiners who can't accept that 404 is part of life.

The TDM-GCC people aren't the first who perform that utter nonsense,
we suffered from that a lot in the past. Why do so many people
deliberately destroy persistent URLs? [1]

Tony, do you think we can switch back to MinGW and use GCC 4.5.0?

Or did you get MinGW-w64 to work?

Or do you recommend to adjust our URLs and stick with GCC 4.4.0
for this release?

Greets,

    Volker

[1] From our project history:

2007-12-23 - Release 1.3

    A sudden change in the download URLs of GEOS made the automatic
    download fail.  Such changes should never happen! But it happened,
    and this quick release is an attempt to limit the damage.

2008-12-13 - Release 2.1

    This release fixes a download error caused by the GDAL project.
    They suddenly changed their download URLs.  That sort of thing
    should never happen!

2009-04-06 - Release 2.5

    This release fixes a download error caused by the MinGW project.
    They suddenly changed the names of their source tarballs. That
    sort of thing should never happen!

In addition, there are some cases not listed here, because I was
able to convince the respective maintainers to restore their old
URIs, such that a hotfix release of mingw-cross-env was not necessary.

Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR