Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Project website design

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Project website design
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 06:14:37 +0300

On 04/21/2010 04:28 PM, Volker Grabsch wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras<address@hidden>  schrieb:
I changed a few things, and also got rid of the single-document style.
I use an shtml file for every section and serve them with SSI
(server-side includes) which works in every browser since it's done by
the web server.
[...]
Of course this approach won't work for offline viewing.  SSI means a
web-server needs to serve the documents.  Just opening them locally in a
browser won't work.

That's exactly why I decided not to use SSI. The unity of documentation
and website means that these should be readable offline.

Indeed. But since in my case it's only a web page, not documentation to be included with the tarball, it's not an issue.

Also, note that the CSS menu does _not_ irritate text browsers.
In a text browser, this menu simply looks like a table of contents.
(Well, any menu is some kind of TOC, isn't it?)

So I'm really only working against ancient graphical browsers.
And for security reasons, those shouldn't be used anyway.

Or, did you have some trouble looking at the mingw-cross-env
site using a modern browser? If so, please give me a hint. It
would be important for me to know about that issue.

No issues here. Note that I kept the CSS menu. It's just that it gets included with SSI so that I don't have to copy it in every page.

This also allows to get rid of the "margin-bottom: 100%;" setting in
".section", as well as using "width: 60%;" instead of making the whole
page fixed-width.

Yeah, those two compromises were not that clean, but they didn't
cause any trouble yet, and I didn't find any better alternative
yet.

The trouble I was having with it is when you zoom-in/out in the page (CTRL++/CTRL+- in Firefox, for example.)

In any event, the layout is a Win. It's one of those cases where less is more. So thanks again for coming up with that design.