Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Question and Help

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Question and Help
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 21:16:54 +0100

Martin Lambers <address@hidden> schrieb:
> On Thu, 18. Mar 2010, 15:44:51 +0100, Volker Grabsch wrote:
> > Alternative suggestion: Is it possible to write it in a way that
> > it uses just one path, such as:
> >
> >     cmake . -DCMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH=/MCE/usr/i686-pc-mingw32
> >
> > That would solve the problem, too, wouldn't it?
>
> According to <http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Cross_Compiling>, you can
> make a "toolchain file" that contains all the macros, and then call
> 'cmake -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=...'.
>
> It might make sense to generate such a file in Mingw-cross-env, but it
> would have to be updated if the MCE directory is moved. I do not think it
> is worth the trouble.

But, why does CMake need absolute paths at all?

The tools are in ${PATH}, and include/lib directories can be found with
pkg-config. So why does CMake need absolute paths at all?

Why can't we simply say:

    "Use 'i686-pc-mingw32-g++' as C++ compiler!"
    "Figure out the include/lib paths via 'i686-pc-mingw32-pkg-config'!"

?

> Cross compilation was only added to CMake in version 2.6, and it looks
> cumbersome and incomplete to me. In my opinion, not supporting platform
> triplets is a mistake.

If I understood you correctly, that can be easily solved with a
"toolchain file".

So the issing support for platform triplets is just a minor issue.
The real problem is the requirement for absolute paths.

Greets,

Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR