Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Preparation of Release 2.11

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Preparation of Release 2.11
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 21:59:40 +1100

On 20 February 2010 13:56, Tony Theodore <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 20 February 2010 06:12, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> So the problem is caused by a bug in /bin/sh of OpenSolaris?
>> That's really scary.
>
> It looks that way, and I'm not sure I have time to investigate. The
> windres segfault was ultimately triggered by a bug in libc, so I
> wouldn't be surprised if there are quirks at low levels.
>
>>> The other approach that works is using bash to run configure:
>>>
>>> $(SED) -i 's,/bin/sh,/usr/bin/env bash,' '$(1)/configure'
>>>
>>> Neither of these seem particularly clean to me,
>>
>> Your second approach can be implemented in a clean way.
>> Just call the configure script explicitly with Bash, which
>> is provided by mingw-cross-env as $(SHELL).
>>
>> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/12f093ca5c0d
>>
>> Does this solve the issue?
>

> Thanks, that solves the issue - so the penultimate test run:
>
>  ----------------------------------------
>  System:               FreeBSD 8.0 i386
>  NSIS excluded?        no
>  Binutils downgraded?  no
>  Success?              yes
>  Log file:             -
>  ----------------------------------------
>
>  ----------------------------------------
>  System:               Mac OSX 10.6 (32 bit mode)
>  NSIS excluded?        no
>  Binutils downgraded?  no
>  Success?              yes
>  Log file:             -
>  ----------------------------------------
>
>  ----------------------------------------
>  System:               Ubuntu 9.10 i386
>  NSIS excluded?        no
>  Binutils downgraded?  no
>  Success?              yes
>  Log file:             -
>  ----------------------------------------
>
>  ----------------------------------------
>  System:               Open Solaris 2009.06 i386
>  NSIS excluded?        no
>  Binutils downgraded?  yes
>  Success?              yes - with new requirements for popt
>  Log file:             -
>  ----------------------------------------
>
> Popt seems to require autoconf 2.62 or later. I've tested 2.59 - 2.65
> (and too many possible combinations of m4/libtool). Vmime seems to
> have problems with the latest versions of everything, so a setup that
> works:
>
> Prepend /usr/local/bin to path
>
> wget http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/m4/m4-1.4.5.tar.gz
> tar -xzf m4-1.4.5.tar.gz
> cd m4-1.4.5 && ./configure && make
> pfexec make install
>
> wget  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-2.62.tar.gz
> tar -xzf autoconf-2.62.tar.gz
> cd autoconf-2.62 && ./configure && make
> pfexec make install
>
> One last thing I'm going to try is updating to the dev pkg repository,
> the above won't be necessary if that succeeds.

That didn't go as well as I hoped, the requirements for popt are met,
but it trashed my terminal and there's all sorts of X11 and dbus
errors. The new version of bash that gets installed also has the same
behaviour as sh - failing with xerces. The only good thing is that
there's an automatic ZFS snapshot so I can easily revert the system.
I'd say it would be safer to add the notes for manually installing m4
& autoconf.

My x64 machine is out of service at the moment, so that wraps up my
testing for this release.