Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Do we still need a plain text README?

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Do we still need a plain text README?
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 03:17:38 +1100

On 15 February 2010 01:22, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
>> Not a big difference in typing, but lynx would be preferable if it's
>> available. I was thinking of
>>
>>     less index.html
>>
>> and that isn't friendly for anyone looking for help.
>
> That's true, but IMHO viewing an HTML with a text viewer is
> as absurd as viewing a text file with a hex viewer.

So we agree :)

[...]
>> I'd put the images in an images directory.
>
> I thought about that at the very beginning, but I thought
> that a single index.html along with some images would be
> more than clear enough. I.e., if you look into the doc/
> directory and see
>
>     index.html
>     screenshot-4th-compile.png
>     screenshot-4th-compile-small.png
>     screenshot-4th-run.png
>     screenshot-4th-run-small.png
>
> then everything is clear, isn't it? Note that this works
> especially well because "s" comes after "i" in the alphabet.

It's clear enough, but your eyes still have to parse the other files
and then return to the index. The target user is probably accustomed
to seeing tens or hundreds of files in a directory though.

[...]
> Well, let's take a look at the new / directory:
>
>    doc/
>    src/
>    ChangeLog
>    Makefile
>
> I don't think the ChangeLog is very distracting here.
>
> However, we might think about leaving ChangeLog out.
> Does anyone seriously look at the ChangeLog? If one is
> interested in the development, one usually pulls the
> development version, and there an "hg log" will be of
> more value than a ChangeLog.
>
> One could also think about integrating the ChangeLog
> into doc/index.html. But that would be very counter-
> intuitive and would make the ChangeLog even less useful
> than it already is.
>
> So what do you think? Should we keep the ChangeLog or
> sould we also remove it?

I'd never seen ChangeLog till last week, and I think the "Latest
Release" and "History" sections cover the needs of general interest.
In addition to "hg log", I find the hg web interface very useful, and
I've also been playing with http://www.logilab.org/project/hgview, so
I think it would be fine to remove it.