Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] SDL build missing DX Headers

From: Gregory Smith
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] SDL build missing DX Headers
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:43:32 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Volker Grabsch wrote:

Note that this is not a question of untarring. In mingw-cross-env,
each package, source and binary, is first unpacked into a separate
temporary directory. It is then built (if necessary) and installed.
Please have a look at src/w32api.mk or src/mingwrt.mk to get an idea.

Yes, I meant that the idea is not to overwrite the library files.

On the other hand, it is quite strange that "directx-devel" contains
such a mix between w32api and directx development libraries. We should
be able get the directx files directly.

Actually it is w32api that is strange: it includes directx libraries but not all necessary header files, I'm guessing for license reasons. The libraries and headers it does include are newer than the ones from the SDL tarball (presumably directx5), and the SDL tarball only includes missing header files, so it does not overwrite the newer header files w32api does decide to include, which is why (I'm guessing) installing the libraries from that tarball then causes a problem. You end up with a mix of newer header files and older libraries.

That said, installing just the header files from that tarball is sufficient to get SDL to compile with directx support.

An interesting alternative might be the "dx80_mgw.zip" available at
http://alleg.sourceforge.net/wip.html

This zip also includes both header files and libraries, but I presume they are complete and consistent, so installing both headers and libraries should be OK.

Or we download the DirectX SDK directly from its source:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx

and convert it as explained in:
http://nexe.gamedev.net/directKnowledge/default.asp?p=DirectX%20Development%20Using%20DevCpp

This would introduce a dependency on reimp, and is a lot of scripting work to go through when someone else has already done it :)

Please try to find a simple, working solution. I'd be happy to create
a "src/directx.mk" that provides DirectX support in mingw-cross-env.

Well, if the goal is only to get SDL to compile with directx support, the simple solution is to install the missing header files the SDL project itself provides. If you want to provide support for DirectX 8 development, we can use the allegro zip file, but since I am not doing DirectX 8 development, I can't test any farther than making sure SDL compiles with directx support.

Gregory