Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Makefiles changes to help testing

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Makefiles changes to help testing
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:35:40 +1100

2009/12/14 Mark Brand <address@hidden>

>>>     B) Move the log files into a separate folder and add a timestamp:
>>>
>>>             usr/log-PKG        ->  log/PKG-`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`

<snip>
>     B) Move the log files into a separate folder and add a timestamp:
>
>             usr/log-PKG        ->  log/`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`-PKG
>
>     C) Keep the download logs:
>
>             log/`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`-PKG-download

I am curious about why you decided to use the timestamp as a prefix
instead of a suffix on logfiles.  I think I prefer it as a suffix since
it naturally sorts and works nicely with using the TAB key to type file
names in bash.   I can understand that you sometimes might want to sort
by timestamp, but "ls -t" will do that.

-Mark

I think I prefer the suffix too, for the same reasons. When I need to sort/search by date, it's typically to do a diff between builds, and a timestamped directory is easier in this case. Attached are the changes to use a suffix instead and create the directories I like to use. I've put a build- prefix on the directories, but this could be log- or nothing, and separated the date and time in timestamps.

I'm pretty sure this covers all my needs:
-preserve log files
-find log for failing pkg quickly
-compare logs for individual pkg easily
-compare build directories easily