mibble-users

Re: [Mibble-users] Mibble 2.8 and ATM-SWITCHING-NODE-MIB

From: Per Cederberg
Subject: Re: [Mibble-users] Mibble 2.8 and ATM-SWITCHING-NODE-MIB
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 21:53:12 +0200

Sorry for the slow answer on this one. But I think you'd have to
consult the ASN.1 specification to find out what is correct or
incorrect here. My belief is that Mibble handles this correctly, since
both OBJECT-TYPE and TRAP-TYPE are just ASN.1 macros. I don't think a
compliant ASN.1 parser could assume that values declared with
different types or macros have different namespaces. Rather, the same
namespace seems to be shared between both types and values. The fact
that none of the IETF MIBs break this rule might also be an indicator.

That said, perhaps Mibble could be more forgiving for this particular
error. Perhaps just issuing a warning? Or attempt to recover from the
error by renaming the later symbol? Or attempting a symbol merge (in
case they would just be duplicates)?

Cheers,

/Per