Re: Running multiple site from one binary install

From: Michael Lynch
Subject: Re: Running multiple site from one binary install
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 21:11:20 -0400

Hi Matt,

Glad to have someone else interested in MediaGoblin on Docker! I forked Lois Dachary’s original implementation and have been maintaining my own fork for the past couple years. I’m working with Ben to try to get most of what’s in my external Dockerfile merged into the core MediaGoblin repo so that we can eliminate a lot of complexity of a separate repo.

For my own MediaGoblin instance, I use nginx as well, but for a slightly different purpose. I use it for authentication and to redirect responses to files on Google Cloud Storage. All of my media is on Google Cloud Storage, so I use nginx as kind of a hack to rewrite MediaGoblin’s responses to point to GCS instead of locally. Relevant code pointers:

https://github.com/mtlynch/mediagoblin-docker/blob/81a8a33840dd76bd82e200de3f4b26cbc180208b/default.conf.tmpl#L60-L69
https://github.com/mtlynch/mediagoblin-docker/blob/81a8a33840dd76bd82e200de3f4b26cbc180208b/Dockerfile#L112-L117

I’m working on a blog post that explains my setup in more detail. It should be ready in the next couple weeks.

I noticed that on the wiki, you have nginx do a proxy pass to http://127.0.0.1:8138, but I can’t figure out where the 8138 is coming from. Why 8138 rather than 6543 (MediaGoblin’s default HTTP port)?

Thanks,
Michael

On 2020-05-15 20:39, Ben Sturmfels wrote:
> Matt, can I hook you up with Michael Lynch (CC'd) who's been looking at
> improving our Docker/MediaGoblin situation? Having some collaboration in
> this area would be *amazing* and hopefully more satisfying than anyone
> tackling this solo. https://issues.mediagoblin.org/ticket/5574

Ben/Michael,

I'm happy to help if I'm able.  Regarding the CI setup, my experience is
limited, but less than zero.  Reading through the ticket you linked, it
looks like you two are pretty close to getting CI up and cooking though.

I'm still planning on adding my docker/nginx setup to the EasyDeployment
wiki page though.