Re: [GMG-Devel] Intro, Questions, etc

From: Boris Bobrov
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Intro, Questions, etc
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 21:33:16 +0200

Hi,

On 07.05.2018 15:20, Perry Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One thought is to first build a server locally and play with it.  Another
> thought is to put one up on a virtual client somewhere.  And that is part of
> my questions.
>
> Will something like the Odroid XU4 be enough power to this purpose?  It is
> roughly like a Pi but newer and more powerful.  I suspect it will be but
> thought I’d ask.
> http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php
> <http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php>

Depending on what you will host there and in what quantities. It will
probably be fine for images/audio. Video requires recoding, which
requires computing power. For personal use with small to medium number
of videos the device mentioned will probably be enough.

> I have the same question about a virtual client in the cloud.  Do you have
> any recommendations for such a thing?  Mostly it would be just to poke and
> play with the software.  I have a hosted site but I don’t have full control
> of the machine.  I think for Media Goblin, it would be nicer / easier to get
> the whole virtual machine to work on.  What are your thoughts?

I don't fully understand the question. But it will be much easier to set
up mediagoblin if you have full access to the machine. Especially for
production use, when you need to separate celery from the web part.

> The last question is the status of the project.  The last blog post was 2016.
>  I see a little email traffic on this mailing list but not much.  What major
> pieces are left to push this to a full 1.0 ready for prime time release?  Is
> there a To Do List or a Wish List somewhere?  Is the project more or less
> waiting for Activity Pub to get more flushed out?

One of the tasks is to merge GSoC results from previous years and finish
them. Especially multiple video qualities. Another is Activitypub, yes,
which is already ready and is a standard.

I don't think we have a list of tasks, but we can discuss further here
or in irc if you want.

As for general status of the project, we don't have any progress, but we
do our best in fixing bugs and general maintaining. We definitely accept
patches.

> And… I don’t want to bruise egos but … is Media Goblin the most developed
> solution from a free internet perspective there is to possibly being a viable
> alternative to YouTube or is there another project that has equal or more
> potential at this time?  So far, I’ve not found anything but I thought I
> would ask.

What is the equivalent of youtube? I am sure popular video bloggers will
not move from youtube to mediagoblin because we don't have ads, revenue
sharing stuff and promotion tools.

Peertube is an interesting project. We do some stuff that they don't do
(video recoding, storage backends), but they already have federation.
And they focus on videos, while we focus on general media.