Re: [GMG-Devel] Moving the wiki to the libreplanet wiki

From: ayleph
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Moving the wiki to the libreplanet wiki
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2018 13:21:09 -0700

On April 7, 2018 12:54:33 PM PDT, Christopher Lemmer Webber <address@hidden>
wrote:
>Hello!  For whatever reason, the wiki is being hammered.  I've also
>spoken to Simon Fondrie-Teitler about it and we've discussed moving the
>wiki to a namespace on the Libreplanet wiki instead.  That would reduce
>the maintenance burden of at least one piece of infrastructure.
>
>What do people think?  Is anyone willing to help?

I'm curious about the current issue. Is the wiki just being hit by spiderbots,
or are spam accounts modifying pages? Is the traffic enough to cause issues on
the hosting machine? I'll say from running a public MediaGoblin instance that I
get crawled by spiders constantly, but it never causes me any problems or
bandwidth overages.

As for moving, does LibrePlanet run Mediawiki as well? If so, maybe there's
some easy way we could export/import pages without having to regenerate the
content. As another idea, I could offer to host something myself, but it's
probably a better idea to stick with an organization rather than relying on
individuals to host services.
--
ayleph