Re: [GMG-Devel] GStreamer 1.0

From: ayleph
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] GStreamer 1.0
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:01:37 -0800

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 09:50:34PM -0600, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> Boris Bobrov writes:
>

> > Now I tend towards the second option: Use GStreamer 1.0 by default and
> > provide
> > a way to fallback to 0.10. This option might have ugly implementation: a
> > script to fallback to 0.10 with sql tables renames and a script to revert
> > the
> > fallback in some future when we drop 0.10 completely, again with sql tables
> > renames. It also looks error-prone to me.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Thanks again Boris for all your hard work on this!  It's thrilling to
> have it in master at last. :)
>
> (I'll leave it up to others to decide the 0.10 thing ;)  But if the
> feature is available by Monday, we can support both for 0.8.0!)

I'm very excited about this as well! I am very much in favor of making gst-1.0
the default backend. As for also supporting the 0.10 thing, I'm less sure. I am
sympathetic to users who can't use gst-1.0 for some reason; in fact, I was one
of them until Boris helped me debug a problem with python2 packages on Arch
Linux. Would there be any benefit to keeping a gst-0.10 branch up-to-date with
master, or is that just as much trouble as supporting gst-0.10 in the same
branch as master?