Re: [GMG-Devel] Federation, table setup, and permissions

From: Joar Wandborg
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Federation, table setup, and permissions
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 18:24:36 +0200

On 07/01/2013 05:25 PM, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
Heya all,

So Jessica Tallon is about to start some work on federation stuff, and
there's some overlap with other things, especially the permission stuff
that Natalie (tilly-q) is working on and the authentication stuff
rodney757 is working on.

Some questions:

  - How to handle remote representations of things (especially in the
    database)?
    - What things need to be remote?
      - Users
      - MediaEntries
      - Collections?
      - Comments?
    - What will it be like to represent remote things?
    - What about database constraints?

      Things like slugs don't apply if it's a remote media entry
      so doing "user + slug" on media entries doesn't make sense

    - Behavior

      Media entries that are remote and media entries locally don't
      really behave the same probably.  Ones that are remote "do a lot
      less"... we probably have captured their thumbnail, but we might
      not know a lot more about them.

    - Options for modeling things

      - Different tables: MediaEntry/User vs MediaEntryRemote/UserRemote

        Gets around the fact that restrictions are different depending
        on whether something is local or not

        Adds new restrictions though.

      - We could have a single table for things like MediaEntry and
        User but have a boolean for "local" (or "remote")

        This would be easier to query.  It would mean a messier model
        though.  It would also mean that some of our constraints might
        not be so easy anymore.

    - I'm assuming that the single table thing is the right solution.

I'm leaning towards separate tables. I can't really say why, which makes my opinion merely more useful than useless. I need to figure out things.

- Hopefully SQLAlchemy can help us out with a 'helper' table that really is two separate tables. - Separation of the tables gives us some semantical separation since remote and local users will have different rights/action endpoints. I need Jessica to confirm if there is any truth to this. - The respective helper could then be named differently from the local/remote tables so that you can easily tell whether you need to logically handle federation or not.

    - How does StatusNet implement this?

  - Permissions
    - Currently tilly-q is working on permissions; they are pretty
      simple at present, just groups and with users in groups.

https://gitorious.org/~npigeon/mediagoblin/npigeons-mediagoblin/blobs/OPW-Moderation-Update/mediagoblin/db/models.py#line562
    - What about remote users though?  How does this tie into
      permissions?  Does it tie in at all?

It would be great if we could have a meeting about this all soonish.
I wonder if sometime over the next few days is particularly good?

  - Chris