Re: [GMG-Devel] Reg. temp access to private mg instance

From: Joar Wandborg
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Reg. temp access to private mg instance
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 22:13:55 +0200

On 09/30/2012 11:58 PM, Diptorup Deb wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Is it possible to set up a private mediagoblin instance which can be
> then shared with others via an expirable  token of some sort?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> ~ drd

Hi Diptorup, currently there's nothing such.

The OAuth plugin contains functionality for expiring tokens, but those
are only used on API views such as /api/submit and /api/entries and
probably won't change.

If you describe your use case providing a bit more details it would be
possible to file a ticket over at http://issues.mediagoblin.org and see
if someone jumps on it.

The setup that would get closest to fit the use case you describe would
be to set up mediagoblin according to
http://docs.mediagoblin.org/siteadmin/deploying.html and then set up the
front-end web server (nginx, apache, lighttpd, ...) to require HTTP
authentication and then handle authentication within the front-end web
server scope. This would effectively restrict access to anyone not
having a set of issued credentials.

Such front-end web server authentication methods are described at the
following places:

        http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.html (Apache)
        http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpAuthBasicModule (nginx)
        http://redmine.lighttpd.net/projects/1/wiki/Docs_ModAuth
        (lighttpd)

As far as I know there is no functionality within any front-end web
server to make the credentials expire but I bet you can prove me wrong
on that part.

Regards,
Joar

--