Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Translating large text blocks and transifex

From: Guttorm Flatabø
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Translating large text blocks and transifex
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 09:49:51 +0100

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM, David MENTRE <address@hidden> wrote:
2013/1/7 Guttorm Flatabø <address@hidden>:
> I forgot to mention that tiny changes, such as punctuation or changing a
> URL, changes that don't need translation or are too unimportant to bother
> the translators, should be handled by the developers manually. Instead of
> generating new .po-files for every language you use search and replace to
> replace the source string in all the translations before pushing to
> Transifex.

I'm not fond of more manual work put on developer shoulders.

And I am not fond of unneccesay work on translators shoulders ;-) This does not really have to be done by a developer per se either, knowing the command line and git is enough.

Moreover, regarding such small changes, I remember that PO translation
tools like POedit can handle _fuzzy translations_ where, when a text
is slightly modified, the translated text is kept and marked as
"fuzzy", meaning "same translation or slightly different". A simple
click validate validate the translation if there is nothing to change.
Hasn't Transifex such a capability?

That is the Translation memory feature I mentioned earlier. However, let us imagine MapOSMatic being translated to 30 languages (which judging by Waymarked Trails is perfectly feasable), would you ask 30 translators to do this, when it could have been avoided with a simple search and replace by one person (which doesn't really need to know how to code)? Also, it can take considerable time (months) between the developer doing the change, and the translator updating the translation, during which the translation has been unneccesarily missing.

--
Guttorm