Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Japanese Translation

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Japanese Translation
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 22:11:30 +0200

Hello Hal Seki,

Some quick responses to complement quite complete malenki's answer (it
is holidays period for most maposmatic developers).

2012/7/20 Hal Seki <address@hidden>:
> There are some issues to use MapOSMatic in Japanese.
> - User interface (There is no 'Japanese')

Hmm, as you pointed out, the translations have be provided to us. Why
haven't they been integrated? I don't know. Maybe we just forget them.
Any way, if you provide us with the two new PO files (one for
ocitysmap and one for maposmatic), maybe starting from the previous
one, we can put in place Japanese translations.

> - Labels are not printed on the map (Font problem?)
> - Labels of POI index are not printed correctly (Font problem?)

Probably. For example on this map?
  http://www.maposmatic.org/rendered//042099_2012-04-10_11-44_EsashiJapan.png

We are probably missing some font on the rendering machine. It is up
to our two administrators, Thomas or Maxime, to connect to the machine
and do the installations.

> - Sort key of index.

Hmm, there are two parts to answer this question:
  * We are probably missing the Japanese locale on the server. Once
again, it is up to Maxime or Thomas to check that.

  * For some languages, we need to write the some Python code to avoid
having all names starting with "Street" for example. I don't know if
Japanese needs such tweaks.

Anyway, looking at current server configuration might help for some of
the issues you raised.

Do not hesitate to ping us in a few weeks if nothing evolves.

Best regards,
david