Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Question about abbreviations in i18n.py

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Question about abbreviations in i18n.py
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 22:35:17 +0200

Le Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:30:10 -0300,
Rodrigo Avila <address@hidden> a écrit :

> Considering "Avenida Osvaldo Aranha": "Osvaldo Aranha" is the
> avenue's name.
>
> But, in Brazil, we can find street signs describing this avenue as
> "Avenida" (whole word) or "Av." (abbreviation). In Brazilian
> Portuguese, both ways is correct. That's why, in some OSM cities, we
> found "Avenida Osvaldo Aranha", and in others, "Av. Osvaldo Aranha".
>
> If we freely and roughly translate this to en_US, we can find street
> signs with "Osvaldo Aranha Avenue" or "Osvaldo Aranha Ave."

Ok, my point is that in France, official street names (on street signs)
are "Rue de la Boétie". However, sometimes on printed maps, they
shortened this to "R. de la Boétie", but this is only for space
reasons, the official name remains "Rue de la Boétie".

If in Brasil it's possible to have "Av." or "R." as official prefixes,
then we can simply add them to the list of APPELLATIONS. Can you
provide a patch, or if you don't know or don't want to work on a patch,
provide us with a list of the abbreviations you want to be handled?

Thanks!

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni                http://thomas.enix.org