Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Info. about map creation

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Info. about map creation
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 19:38:20 +0200

Hello Rodrigo,

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 14:24:08 -0300
Rodrigo Avila <address@hidden> wrote:

> In the blog, I see the following: "I’ve worked on finishing the Map
> Creation Wizard that allows to select the different parameters for a
> map." Among these parameters, there are some that allow you to change
> the map colors or the streets colors?

In the new version of MapOSMatic, it will be possible to choose the
rendering style between a predefined set of Mapnik stylesheets. The
Mapnik stylesheet defines how all elements in the map are rendered (and
even whether they are rendered or not). Initially, we will offer 2 or 3
stylesheets, and we will encourage MapOSMatic users to propose
alternative stylesheets that we could add to the official MapOSMatic
website.

Adjusting individual parameters such as map colors or street colors
through a web page is hardly possible: a stylesheet is composed of
hundreds, if not thousands of parameters. The Web form would be
horribly complicated to implement and to use.

We've thought of giving the possibility to users to upload their own
stylesheet to MapOSMatic so that they can easily use their own
rendering style and experiment with new styles. Unfortunately, a
Mapnik stylesheet contains lots of SQL queries to lookup geographic
elements in the database, and we've considered that allowing users to
upload their own stylesheet would open a big security hole in the
MapOSMatic server.

Of course, we're open to suggestions in that area!

Regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni                         http://thomas.enix.org