[Maposmatic-dev] [RFC] Query optimization and GEOS version

From: Maxime Petazzoni
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] [RFC] Query optimization and GEOS version
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:45:13 +0200

Hi all,

I've given some more work to my query optimization patch in the past few
days, in particular to track down these annoying GEOS intersect errors.

It appears the version of GEOS on the server (3.0.x) is very buggy with
intersections computations so there is no real solution here
unfortunately.

Possible courses of action are:

  * upgrade the server to 10.4 to get Postgres 8.4 and GEOS 3.2, with
    which we can use this patch and benefit from the significant
    performance improvement. I have tested it on my machine and so far
    no rendering has failed with GEOS errors, not to mention the way,
    way faster queries.

    I don't know Ubuntu enough to handle this upgrade though. Not sure
    of the effect of the upgrade on our infrastructure, too.

  * migrate to the new server as soon as possible, we're waiting to here
    from Jerome here on the hardware issues of the machine hosting our
    VM. It runs Debian testing, and has Postgres 8.4 and GEOS 3.2.

  * do nothing, and be sad. :)

Comments, questions and feedback on the patch itself is also appreciated
of course!

- Maxime