Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Update frequency for administrative boundaries

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Update frequency for administrative boundaries
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:46:20 +0100

Hello Hans,

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:31:40 +0100
"Hans F. Nordhaug" <address@hidden> wrote:

> According to the FAQ, MapOSMatic is one day behind OSM. Is this the
> case for the administrative boundaries too? The reason I'm asking is
> that we added administrative boundaries for all of Norway the 12/13th
> of February, but still you can't select them. Is Nominatim to blame or
> is it MapOSMatic? It seems that boundaries are in place - Ex. Oslo:
> http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/search?q=oslo
> http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=14776

The problem is that we only show administrative boundaries of level 8,
which for most countries are municipalities. But it looks like in
Norway, this isn't the case, according to :

 http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative#admin_level

Municipalities have been integrated as admin_level 7.

This is a know problem: every country is different with regard to
administrative boundary, and we haven't yet found the proper solution
to handle that. Your feedback and ideas on the matter are very welcome.

Regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni                         http://thomas.enix.org