Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Migrating to the new MapOSMatic daemon

From: Maxime Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Migrating to the new MapOSMatic daemon
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 21:30:07 +0100

Good evening all,

Over the week-end, I've been working on deploying the new rendering
daemon on dev.maposmatic.org. It took a little while to get it running
as I needed to tweak the configuration to match the server's needs (like
the need for a special LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and the updates to the init.d
script). Also, I went skiing. But it's finally running. :-)

Getting it running on dev.maposmatic.org allowed for more intensive
tests, which led to the discovery of a few nasty bugs in the cleanup
mechanism and thread management. But that's all fixed now, and it
appears the daemon is running as expected.

If you updated your local repository during the week-end, note that some
commits after the tag deploy-20100212 were amended and/or rebased.

Also note that I removed the job-error-obsolete icon. I find the
difference between a failed job, and a failed obsolete job to be too
unclear for the user (and also, most of the times a job is now properly
cleaned when it fails, putting it automatically in obsolete status).

Other notable fix available on dev.m.o: proper display of jobs that
don't have indexes files because they were not generated (this needs
translations updates for languages other than English and French).

Please continue testing dev.m.o in a variety of situations (long
renderings, maps from all around the world, under server load, etc.) to
make the new rendering pipeline bulletproof before we consider the full
roll-out on the production instance.

By the way, we served our 10,000th map during the week-end! Hoora!

- Maxime

--
Maxime Petazzoni <http://www.bulix.org>
 ``One by one, the penguins took away my sanity.''