Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [task #10069] Support multiple names for streets

From: Jeroen van Rijn
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [task #10069] Support multiple names for streets
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 15:40:36 +0100

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 15:17, David Mentré <address@hidden> wrote:
> Web interface question: should we allow all languages for a country (e.g.
> Arabic for Paris and not only French)? Or display all different names in the
> index only?

Hi David,

I would suggest offering to select a preferred language with the
understanding that the data may be missing a translation in their
chosen language, and having it fall back to the local name otherwise.
But even supposing someone prints out a map of Paris with all names
translated to English, they're not going to find their way around
since presumably the local signage won't bear the translation.

Might then something like this be wanted?
- Select preferred street name language: ['Local', 'Arabic',
'Catalan',  ..... 'Zulu']
- if something other than local is selected and there's a
name:<iso-language> tag present for the street, render it as follows
in the index:

==L==
[Local Name] Translated Name
==T==
Translated Name [Local Name]

- list in an info box on the index somewhere: "For your convenience
the local name of streets are listed in brackets. If no translated
name is known for a street, the local name is listed by itself."

Regards,
Jeroen.