Re: strange behavior with makefile

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: strange behavior with makefile
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 18:46:03 -0500

On Mon, 2014-01-20 at 07:06 -0800, Uwe wrote:
> I found a quite simple solution:
>
> call make with the -R Option which suppresses all built-in stuff ...

That can't be a valid solution, given the makefile you provided before.

If you suppress the built-in rules then there will be no rules that know
how to build files like "bootload.o", and if the "bootload.o" file does
not exist then your makefile will fail saying that there is no rule to
build that file.

If you provide your own rule that knows how to build files like
"bootload.o" then it will always take precedence over the built-in rules
anyway so using or not using -R makes no difference.

What I suspect has happened is that you've gotten "bootload.o" and
"can.o" compiled some other way and so those files now exist; when you
run "make -R" it succeeds because they don't need to be rebuilt.

If you were to delete those object files and start the build from
scratch using the "-R" flag, you will get an error saying make doesn't
know how to build those files.

If that's not the case, then the makefile example you provided to us is
so unrepresentative of your actual environment that there's no way we
can provide advice.