Re: Parallel build

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Parallel build
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:39:21 -0500

On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 21:54 +0400, niXman wrote:
> 2012/2/28 Paul Smith <address@hidden>:
> > This makefile, for example, works correctly for me on GNU/Linux (with
> > -j2 I get two jobs at a time running):
> >
> >        all: 1.p 2.p 3.p 4.p 5.p 6.p
> >        .PHONY: all
> >        %.p: ; @echo start $* && sleep 2 && echo end $*
>
> It's strange... Using your makefile, I'd got the expected result: two
> tasks are executed simultaneously.
> But building of Qt is executed in a single task.

It means that something is weird/wrong/etc. about the Qt makefiles.
Maybe they specifically disable parallelism (using .NOTPARALLEL for
example).  Or maybe they are recursively invoking make and the recursive
invocation is using a different version of GNU make than the new one you
built from CVS, and the other one doesn't support parallelism.

Pretty much you're going to have to engage with the Qt folks and/or
track down a test case yourself... we can't guess (and I myself have no
access to Windows systems to test on).