behavior on Win depends on whether \ or / is used??

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: behavior on Win depends on whether \ or / is used??
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 13:06:14 -0800

Hello,  this is a Windows question,

I have 2 subdirectories foobar0 and foobar1, and only in foobar1 there is a file foobar.s  . There is no file foobar.o .

The makefile is:

SHELL=cmd.exe

vpath %.s .\foobar0 .\foobar1

%.o : %.s

            echo $<

foobar0\foobar.s:;

This behaves as expected:

C:\tmp>make foobar.o

echo .\foobar1/foobar.s

However, if I change all the backslashes to forward-slashes, then I get:

C:\tmp>make foobar.o

make: *** No rule to make target `foobar.s', needed by `foobar.o'.  Stop.

(this is just a small example, what I observe is that forward slash in directories, misbehaves with vpath on Windows)

Is this a bug in Windows make, or in my head?

Mark