Re: How to fail on a find with grep using make?

From: Gary Turner
Subject: Re: How to fail on a find with grep using make?
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:40:23 +1300

That worked perfectly.
Thanks very much.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>
To: "Gary Turner" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 8:52 AM

From: "Gary Turner" <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:41:00 +1300

I'm using grep to compile files created by a gui editor. Occasionally a 'bad
thing' gets into the files, and I'd like the compile to fail if that 'bad
thing' is found in the file. By default grep 'fails' on not found, which
would normally stop make.
What I want is something like  error if not grep 'bad thing' $<
I'm using cmd.exe.

Does the following work for you?  It should work on W2K and later,
AFAIK.

foo: bar
cmd /c "grep BADTHING $< & if not ERRORLEVEL 1 exit 1"