RE: infinite loop caused by -j option

From: Bailey, Kirk A
Subject: RE: infinite loop caused by -j option
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:24:37 -0500

Jon,

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure exactly what you had in mind
for the debugger. I'm not used to debugging tools like this; so,
here's what I did (if there's something else I could do to
provide more useful information, please provide instructions):
1) I ran make until it was in the infinite loop, 2) I launched
gdb and attached to the make process. Here's what I got (it
means nothing to me, but perhaps means something to someone
else):

(gdb) bt
#0  0x7c901231 in ntdll!DbgUiConnectToDbg () from
/c/WINNT/system32/ntdll.dll
#1  0x7c9507a8 in ntdll!KiIntSystemCall () from
/c/WINNT/system32/ntdll.dll
#2  0x00000005 in ?? ()
#3  0x00000004 in ?? ()
#4  0x00000001 in ?? ()
#5  0x2104ffd0 in ?? ()
#6  0x8534d130 in ?? ()
#7  0xffffffff in ?? ()
#8  0x7c90ee18 in strchr () from /c/WINNT/system32/ntdll.dll
#9  0x7c9507c8 in ntdll!KiIntSystemCall () from
/c/WINNT/system32/ntdll.dll
#10 0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) s
Single stepping until exit from function ntdll!DbgUiConnectToDbg,
which has no line number information.
0x7c9507a8 in ntdll!KiIntSystemCall () from /c/WINNT/system32/ntdll.dll
(gdb)
Single stepping until exit from function ntdll!KiIntSystemCall,
which has no line number information.
0x7c961be3 in ntdll!RtlExtendedLargeIntegerDivide () from
/c/WINNT/system32/ntdll.dll
(gdb)
Single stepping until exit from function
ntdll!RtlExtendedLargeIntegerDivide,
which has no line number information.
0x7c919126 in ntdll!NlsMbOemCodePageTag () from
/c/WINNT/system32/ntdll.dll
(gdb)
Single stepping until exit from function ntdll!NlsMbOemCodePageTag,
which has no line number information.
0x7c90edc2 in strchr () from /c/WINNT/system32/ntdll.dll
(gdb)
Single stepping until exit from function strchr,
which has no line number information.
0x7c919132 in ntdll!NlsMbOemCodePageTag () from
/c/WINNT/system32/ntdll.dll

As far as GNU+Linux: I don't have such a system available and so can't
try it there.

I do have one additional "clue". It appears to be related to the fact
that
I have declared some object files to be ".INTERMEDIATE:". If I remove
this,
then the infinite loop does not occur. The problem with this, though, is
that it always builds those object files, which is not what I want.

Regards,
Kirk

Note:  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message
and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.