RE: Make on XP - shell selection?

From: Dave Korn
Subject: RE: Make on XP - shell selection?
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:21:23 +0100

On 22 October 2007 16:01, grischka wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> I'm not sure I follow: are you suggesting to write a function named
>> w32_adjust_shell_and_set_mode_flags
>
> Yes, a function that operates on the expanded string of SHELL
> when it's about to be used.
>
>> that would search for SHELL along
>> PATH, like find_and_set_default_shell does now?
>
> What exactly it does we can fill in when we have it.

  Ummm, that doesn't really sound like a well thought through plan to me.

> If it only
> sets unixy_mode or batch_mode, it should already work for 99%.
>
>> That'd be a terrible
>> cycle killer, because this function would be called on each command
>> invocation.
>
> But no. Compared to what it takes the OS to spawn (and run!) a process,
> one path search more or less wont make even the slightest difference.

  Well, this is something that is easily amenable to testing and measurement.
It would be pretty trival to add a call to a path search (even one that is
just trivially performed and the results thrown away; it'd still prove the
point) controlled by an option switch and time a few big complex builds both
with and without.

    cheers,
      DaveK