Re: Make on XP - shell selection?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Make on XP - shell selection?
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:33:20 +0200

> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:05:23 +1300
> From: Gary Turner <address@hidden>
>
> It all worked perfectly until I installed a compiler that put a sh shell
> on my path. Since then all my makefiles are broken.

If your makefiles use features specific to cmd.exe, and don't specify
SHELL = cmd.exe, then it's expected that they will become broken,
because the Windows port of Make uses sh.exe by default if it can find
it along your PATH.

> I've tried explicitly putting SHELL = cmd.exe in my makefiles - but
> that didn't seem to work. Putting SHELL = c:\winnt\system32\cmd.exe
> seems to sort-of work, but then all sorts of other errors come up.

My crystal ball says you are using Make 3.80 or older.  Those versions
didn't support cmd.exe well enough.  Please try upgrading to version
3.81, where these problems should be gone.

If you see these problems with Make 3.81, please show a short
self-contained makefile which doesn't work if you put "SHELL = cmd.exe"
in it, and also show all the error messages you see on your system
with such a makefile.