Re: Make CVS HEAD version build out of the box

From: Yongwei Wu
Subject: Re: Make CVS HEAD version build out of the box
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 08:55:57 +0800

On 04/10/2007, Paul Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 21:44 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Maybe we should simply have a wrapper for `stat' on Windows, which
> > could remove the slashes.  Then these problems would be solved in one
> > place once and for all.
>
> I was thinking about this today.  It seems like it would be a useful
> thing to store a "canonical" name for a given file, even on POSIX
> systems.  One minor nit is that make conflates "targets" with "files";
> not all targets are files and it's conceivable that you wouldn't want to
> canonicalize targets.

This will be very nice!  My original purpose here is to see whether
there is a "good" way to have case-sensitive phony targets when
HAVE_CASE_INSENSITIVE_FS is defined.  Your suggestion is potentially
one step closer for me.

Only non-phony targets should have a canonicalized name.  I think in
phony targets the field canonical_name (assume you mean an additional
field in the struct) should not be used at all.

Best regards,

Yongwei

--
Wu Yongwei