[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Problems with latest Cygwin make patch; builds OK but binary segfaul

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problems with latest Cygwin make patch; builds OK but binary segfaults
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 12:21:39 +0300

> Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 18:14:38 -0400
> From: Christopher Faylor <address@hidden>
> On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:47:22PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >>Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 13:51:21 -0400
> >>From: Christopher Faylor
> >> 
> >>So, again, I'd like to go slowly and carefully with this change.
> >
> >I agree, and said I would wait, but I can't wait indefinitely.
> >Eventually, if no one else cares to try these changes, they will go in.
> Personally, I think it sets a bad precedent to suggest that you'll apply
> a patch over the potential objections of the project lead for the
> affected system.

If you have objections that are based on actual use cases, i.e. if you
(or someone else) can come up with a situation where this patch does,
or could potentially do, some harm, then of course such objections
will never be overruled, not by me, anyway.  Any such objections in
the history of this patch development were always taken in
consideration and acted upon immediately.

Otherwise, it sounds unfair to me to encourage me and others to do
some non-trivial amount of work, only to hold the results back after
the job is done and approved by everyone involved, including yourself.

> However, you might as well go ahead and check in the patch.  If someone
> notes a problem then presumably it can be reported back to this mailing
> list.  But, at least, you won't have to suffer with an "indefinite" wait
> before the patch is checked in.
> And in the meantime, since this is free software, if I don't agree that
> this change should be in the Cygwin release, I can always back it out in
> the next release.

True on both accounts.

However, I personally am in no hurry; when I said ``indefinitely'', I
really meant a VERY long time.  As no Make release is planned any time
soon (AFAIK), I don't see any reason to interpret ``indefinite'' as
meaning ``a few days''.  If you don't think the Cygwin user community
needs the patched version ASAP, I certainly won't push that against
your opinion.

In the meantime, I see we have another positive experience reported on
the Cygwin list.

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]