RE: command line limitation

From: Leeuwesteijn,Joost
Subject: RE: command line limitation
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:47:18 +0200

Hi ma, (what's for dinner? :-) )

> When I am trying to pass it to any function (ar for example), the
operating
> system complains that the command line is too long. The other way is to
put
> this variable in a text file and call ar in this way:
> ar @a.txt
> The problem is I don't know how I can write this variable
> into a file? I can't use something such as echo $(Long_Var) >a.txt since
> then the command line to echo is too long. Is there any way that I can do
in
> gmake? Is there any function in gmake that help to write a variable into a
file?
> I am using gmake on windows xp

Can you write to the file in steps? Using append?
    echo $(smaller_var)   > a.txt
    echo $(smaller_var2) >> a.txt
    echo $(smaller_var3) >> a.txt
etc.

Or create the $(Long_Var), chop it in bits and write the parts to the file
using append.

Regards,
Joost Leeuwesteijn

---
Important Note:

This e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged
or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient
you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this e-mail or any
information and attachment contained in the message. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail or
telephone and delete this message and any attachment from your system.

Thank you.